[OKFN-MENA] Welcome / Bienvenus / أهلاً و سهلاً

yamen bousrih bousrihyamen at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 7 13:53:15 UTC 2014

Hi Rayna

Thank you for your answer. Please see my comments below in blue :)

Bienvenu Yamen :-)

Good to have people from Tunisia! Other comments are inline.

Le 05/03/2014 20:58, yamen bousrih a écrit :

[quote snipped]

>We (me and my friends from CLibre) recently organised the Open Data Day in Sayada City. I will write a post about that and send it to Rayna (@Rayna apologies for the delay J )
Looking forward to!

Btw, for these of you who haven't seen it yet: http://mena.okfn.org/?p=57 (it is a very quick wrap-up and points out to other Open Data Day events across the world). I've included Tarek's show-and-tell from the Egyptian events as well as Storify from both the Egyptian and Tunisian events.  ==> I saw it. Excellent! Thanks Rayna.

... And I'd really love a meatier blog post on Tunisia, in French, Arabic or English. ==> email sent :) again apologies for the delay

>We are also working on several projects now in Tunisia:  the membership of Tunisia in the OGP process, a project called OpenCities which aims to promote the OpenGov/OpenData for local administration/municipalities , a Cinema Festival for movies under the license CC (it will be a parallel event with the Carthage International Cinema Festival), wikipedia workshops, the contest WikiLovesMonuments...

Yep, I've spoken to people involved in the OGP process in Tunisia. Looking forward to how this will unfold.==> Today there is the first meeting with civil society to elaborate the action plan. Some members from our group OpenGovTN are present (unfortunately I'm not in Tunisia now) I will keep you informed.

BTW, speaking of OpenCities: have a look at the Local Open Data Index. In contrast to the Open Data Index (http://mena.okfn.org/?p=48 ) which surveys government openness, the Local Index targets cities. Have a look and let us know if you'd be interested to work on it for Sayada and/or other cities. I've been helping fine-tuning the French version of the Local Index (which cities, which criteria, keda) as each country has different institutional requirements when it comes to municipalities and how they are organized. More here http://blog.okfn.org/2014/02/04/announcing-the-local-open-data-census/

==> Thank you very much Rayna for this. Indeed I'm very interested to work on it for Sayada as this city started from 2011 to publish open data and many information online (you can check this link http://data.sayada.tn ). I filled the form to register my interest. Please let me know what's the next step or if I can help on the french version.

I'll get back to the global Open Data Index in a separate email. Last year, I was the main assessor and editor -- which is why only 6 countries were represented :-) This year, I'd love it if more people joined. I also have some partial data on most of the MENA countries already curated, so it'll take even less time than what one could fear.

Last but not least: will there be WikiLovesMonuments this year? From what I heard, it's unclear for now.  ==> Yes it seems that there is no international contest (c.f. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Wiki_Loves_Monuments_2013/Future#Should_there_be_a_major_international_competition_in_2014.3F )  but local communities can continue to organise it locally and probably it's what we are going to do in Tunisia.

Speak soon,

Good to have people from Tunisia! Other comments are inline.

Le 05/03/2014 20:58, yamen bousrih a écrit :

[quote snipped]

>We (me and my friends from CLibre) recently organised the Open Data Day in Sayada City. I will write a post about that and send it to Rayna (@Rayna apologies for the delay J)
Looking forward to!

Btw, for these of you who haven't seen it yet: http://mena.okfn.org/?p=57 (it is a very quick wrap-up and points out to other Open Data Day events across the world). I've included Tarek's show-and-tell from the Egyptian events as well as Storify from both the Egyptian and Tunisian events.

... And I'd really love a meatier blog post on Tunisia, in French,
    Arabic or English.

>We are also working on several projects now in Tunisia:  the membership of Tunisia in the OGP process, a project called OpenCities which aims to promote the OpenGov/OpenData for local administration/municipalities , a Cinema Festival for movies under the license CC (it will be a parallel event with the Carthage International Cinema Festival), wikipedia workshops, the contest WikiLovesMonuments...
Yep, I've spoken to people involved in the OGP process in Tunisia.
    Looking forward to how this will unfold.
BTW, speaking of OpenCities: have a look at the Local Open Data
    Index. In contrast to the Open Data Index
    (http://mena.okfn.org/?p=48 ) which surveys government openness, the Local Index targets cities. Have a look and let us know if you'd be interested to work on it for Sayada and/or other cities. I've been helping fine-tuning the French version of the Local Index (which cities, which criteria, keda) as each country has different institutional requirements when it comes to municipalities and how they are organized. More here http://blog.okfn.org/2014/02/04/announcing-the-local-open-data-census/

I'll get back to the global Open Data Index in a separate email.
    Last year, I was the main assessor and editor -- which is why only 6
    countries were represented :-) This year, I'd love it if more people
    joined. I also have some partial data on most of the MENA countries
    already curated, so it'll take even less time than what one could
    fear.

Last but not least: will there be WikiLovesMonuments this year? From
    what I heard, it's unclear for now.

Speak soon,

Rayna

>Thanks
>Yamen
>

>Le Mardi 4 mars 2014 18h48, Mohamed ElGohary <ircpresident at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
>Thanks Rayna,
>

>So introducing myself, I’m a Cairo based Entrepreneur/Blogger/Social Media Expert. I’m currently co-founder at The Workshops, with a passion to transfer skills in Egypt with a hope to go World Wide. I also have a passion for Social Media, Translation, Editing, Training and IT literacy. I also work as Global Voices Online Lingua Coordinator and Arabic Lingua Editor, as well as Global Voices Advocacy. My work ranges from supporting the 35 languages where Global Voices is translated to, plus working on increasing Arabic content on the Internet. On a side note, I volunteer as a Translation Moderation team member for Arabic Twitter.
>

>شكرًا راينا،
>

>أنا رائد أعمال ومدون وخبير إعلام اجتماعي مقيم بالقاهرة، حاليًا مؤسس مشارك في شركة The Workshops تحت مجال تحقيق شغفي في نقل المهارات في مصر مع أمل في التوسع إلى كل أنحاء العالم. مهتم بالإعلام الاجتماعي، والترجمة، والتحرير والتدريب والمعرفة التقنية. أعمل أيضًا لدى الأصوات العالمية على الإنترنت كمنسق لغوي ومحرر للأصوات العالمية بالعربية، بالإضافة إلى دفاع الأصوات العالمية. ينحصر عملي في الدعم التقني والإداري والإعلامي ل35 لغة تترجم إليها مقالات الأصوات العالمية، والعمل على زيادة المحتوى العربي عبر الأصوات العالمية بالعربية.
 أهتم بالعديد من الشئون مع تركيز خاص في الإعلام الاجتماعي، والترجمة، والتحرير، والتدريب، وتعليم خبرات الحاسوب، بالإضافة إلى العلاقة بين الإعلام الاجتماعي والإعلام التقليدي. أدعم أيضًا جهود الحفاظ على التنوع اللغوي على الإنترنت. وعلى جانب آخر متطوع في فريق مشرفي تعريب تويتر.

>تحياتي،
>
>محمد الجوهري
>محرر اللغة العربية والمنسق اللغوي
>الأصوات العالمية
>www.globalvoicesonline.org
>سكايبي: ircpresident
>--
>إننا نؤمن بحريّة الكلمة: بحماية الحق في إسماع الآخرين والاستماع لهم. لكل فرد في العالم الحق في الوصول إلى أدوات التعبير - نحن الأصوات العالمية
>--
> تابعني على:
>Arabic Lingua سقوط قتيل في احتجاجات شعبية بموريتانيا ضد إتلاف مصاحف
>

>On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 1:35 AM, Rayna S <rayna at hatewasabi.info> wrote:
>
>Hello everyone,
>>
>>I hope this finds you well :-) Thank you for
                            joining and apologies for
>>the silence, been really busy over here.
>>
>>My guess is I know each one of you
                            subscribed on this list but it'd be
>>really great if you introduced yourselves
                            ;-) I'm writing in English but
>>feel free to use Arabic and/or French if you
                            feel more comfortable.

>>Before wishing you 'good night', I wanted to
                            highlight this short
>>wrap-up: http://mena.okfn.org/?p=57 (quick summary with links of Open
>>Data Day #ODD14). Stay tuned, more is coming
                            [*].