[OKFN-NP] Fwd: [OKFN-Local-Coord] Branding update: words and logos

Prakash Neupane nprkshn at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 09:21:17 UTC 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Laura James <laura.james at okfn.org>
Date: Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 2:47 PM
Subject: [OKFN-Local-Coord] Branding update: words and logos
okfn-local-coord at lists.okfn.org>

Hello,

In today's email:

* the words for talking about Open Knowledge

* the background to the logo design

* introducing the new logo

* some ideas of ways we'll use the logo

Following last week's email describing who we are and what we do, here's
some more words we use to talk about ourselves:

About our brand and what motivates us:

       A revolution in technology is happening and it's changing everything
we do.

Never before has so much data been collected and analysed. Never before
have so many people had the ability to freely, easily and quickly share
information across the globe.

Governments and corporations are using this data to create knowledge about
our world, and make decisions about our future.

But who should control this data and the ability to find insights and make
decisions? The many, or the few? This is a choice that we get to make. The
future is up for grabs.

Do we want to live in a world where access to knowledge is "closed", and
the power and understanding it brings is controlled by the few? Or, do we
choose a world where knowledge is "open" and we are all empowered to make
informed choices about our future?

We believe that knowledge should be open, and that everyone - from citizens
to scientists, from enterprises to entrepreneurs, - should have access to
the information they need to understand and shape the world around them.

Our core purpose:

A world where knowledge creates power for the many, not the few.

A world where data frees us - to make informed choices about how we live,
what we buy and who gets our vote.

A world where information and insights are accessible - and apparent - to
everyone.

This is the world we choose.

    Our tagline:

*See how data can change the world*

*Onto the logo!*

About the visual identity (logo) - which we call the "data earth"

The "data Earth" visual identity is designed to represent the organisation
we heard about through the brand development process.  The data earth works
with the words about the brand and Open Knowledge culture on several levels:

(1) it's data derived [which is a good fit, we are all about data!],

(2) it's an 'O' standing for Open,

(3) also an earth [global, inclusive, diverse].

These are three powerful aspects and to have all 3 in one visual identity
which is coherent is especially great in branding terms, making this a
powerful and special identity.

The "data earth" is inspired by the Open Data Index, which many of you
helped to create.

We can use the "data earth" idea to create logos for Open Knowledge in
general, for local groups and for working groups. There will be more
information about these variants soon!

Examples:

The typeface is openly licensed Lato.

We will also have graphics for banners, business card templates, guidance
on colour palette and graphic styles (for use on websites and printed
materials), T shirt designs and sticker designs coming soon.

In the meantime to give you some idea of how things could look, here are
example concepts for banners and merchandise:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6u30TgpCsjjUkNQTlpJMU00YU0/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6u30TgpCsjjbGdwN1dMV1JMYW8/edit?usp=sharing

And finally...

Please be patient as we prepare more materials for you!

We will have lots of tools and templates for you which will make it easy
for you to use the new graphics for best effect. The graphics included here
are illustrations only, not ready for use :)

All this information is now on the wiki here:
http://wiki.okfn.org/About_the_Open_Knowledge_brand

Best regards,

Laura

--