[okfn-us-tx] Greetings!

heath rezabek heath.rezabek at gmail.com
Wed May 22 16:21:19 UTC 2013

Greetings!

I am the Texas Ambassador for the Open Knowledge Foundation.  I wanted to
send an introduction to my approach to open knowledge for the archives.
 Welcome, future OKFn-TX'ers!

I discovered the Open Knowledge Foundation in January of 2013, due to their
project-building call for proposals.  Since that time, I've been able to
meet one organization member and speak with some others.  Wonderful people
doing wonderful things.  I'll be present and representing the Open
Knowledge Foundation at events such as upcoming EFF-Austin meetups, as well
as the upcoming Texas Linux Festival.

When I think about what "open knowledge" means, I bring a broad view to the
question.  My specific focus is on open creative work, and the kinds of
collaboration that are only possible through open licensing.  I believe in
the power of creative collaboration to change minds, culture, and
ultimately the world we live in.  It was this vast potential of the wide
realm of "knowledge", and what it would mean to open it, that inspired me.

I am also dedicated to supporting efforts in open access and transparency.
 By profession, I am a library manager, working on technology grant
initiatives for at-risk youth.  So, I have a unique perspective on the ways
institutions and governmental agencies approach transparency, and some
unique barriers that can arise.  I am particularly interested in what
happens when the ideals of transparency are applied to realms we might
otherwise overlook, such as corporate transparency or transparency in
industry.

I believe strongly in the power of collaborative communities to bring about
positive change and to solve wide-reaching global challenges through
creative activity and the humanities, as well as through the sciences. In
discussions with OpenGLAM staff, I have been exploring the possibilities
for an open source platform for creative collaboration based on ckan.  This
fits nicely with Austin's hosting of such media-bending events as South By
SouthWest (SXSW).

My interests include library and information science; open science;
astronomy; astrobiology; synthetic biology; strategic foresight; the study
of existential risk and the long-term preservation of the biological and
cultural record. Artistically, I pursue collaborative writing; experimental
writing; digital imagery / art; science-fiction worldbuilding; and ambient
electronica composition / soundscaping.

I believe the Open Knowledge Foundation is dedicated to a core mission
which has tremendous potential for benefiting humanity, and I would like to
do all I can to help deepen, broaden, and enhance that potential.

I'm looking forward to growing OKFn Texas!

- Heath Rezabek
  Texas Ambassador for the Open Knowledge Foundation