[okfn-za] Open data in South Africa

Adi Eyal adi at code4sa.org
Mon Nov 18 09:25:24 UTC 2013

I do a lot of work with regards to ATI but a thought has been niggling
me that I'm actually doing stuff that is completely irrelevant to the
real issues in South Africa. There's no point in targeting the white
middle class. Being white and middle class, I actually don't have a
clue regarding how to go approach this problem. Obviously working with
intermediary civil society organisations is where it's at but building
an awareness around the value is a bit of a struggle.

Advice solicited.

Adi

On 18 November 2013 10:06, Justin Arenstein <justinarenstein at gmail.com> wrote:
> Adi,
>
> Hi. I think this is a crucial question, & think you should also be pinging
> ATI / PAIA orgs like ODAC and SAHA and R2K and SAHRC, etc, directly.
> Advocacy and policy work is obviously important, but only if citizens use
> the results. Civil society and activists seem to be struggling to translate
> 'ivory tower' policy work into tangible 'real world' benefits or services
> for ordinary citizens. It would therefore be good to understand whether the
> organisations at the forefront of ATI advocacy know of any tools / services
> that impact on ordinary citizens in a demonstratable / measurable way.
>
> Cheers,
> Justin
>
> Justin Arenstein
>
> SA Mobile: +27.82.374.0812
> US Mobile: +1.650.336.5878
> Skype: JustinArenstein
> Twitter: JustinArenstein
> Web: http://www.linkedin.com/in/JustinArenstein
>
> PGP Key Fingerprint: 8B19 3C53 2B40 453B F48D 9D7A 7346 A3AE DB88 30CD
> Do you want to email me confidentially? See: http://bit.ly/VLJt1N
>

> On 18 November 2013 08:46, Adi Eyal <adi at code4sa.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All
>>
>> I'm looking for access to information type projects in South Africa
>> that actually reach end-users and have impact on improving human
>> rights, social justice issues, service delivery or other hot button
>> issues.
>>
>> Transport apps and pretty visualisations are sexy but I'm looking for
>> examples that have real impact. I am struggling a little and I was
>> hoping for input from these mailing lists.
>>
>> Adi
>>
>> --
>> Adi Eyal
>> Strategy
>> Code for South Africa
>> Promoting informed decision-making
>>
>> phone: +27 78 014 2469
>> skype: adieyalcas
>> linkedin: http://za.linkedin.com/pub/dir/Adi/Eyal
>> web: http://www.code4sa.org
>> twitter: @soapsudtycoon
>>
>> For more information on how to participate in the open data community
>> in South Africa, go to: http://www.code4sa.org/#community
>>
>> --

Adi Eyal
Director