[okfn-za] Fwd: Join our Hack4Water hackathon

Adi Eyal adi at code4sa.org
Tue Mar 29 08:59:35 UTC 2016

Hi All

Come through to the Hack4Water hackathon this Saturday in Cape Town,
Pretoria and Durban. See the invitation below.

Regards
Adi

*Hack4Water - Don’t wait for water restrictions to do something about the
water shortage!*
View this email in your browser
<http://us8.campaign-archive2.com/?u=11977a67604b965526b63ee6e&id=85664a051e&e=>

NEWSFLASH: South Africa is currently experiencing a severe drought, with
five provinces already declared disaster areas and rising food prices on
the cards as affected farms are unable to harvest crops or feed their
livestock.

Code for South Africa is working in partnership with the Department of
Water and Sanitation, as well as The Open Government Partnership to help
address this issue, and we want you to get involved!

As part of the nationwide challenge for South Africans to #Hack4Water and
submit innovative solutions to water issues, we are hosting local
hackathons across the country to bring South Africans together and explore
different approaches to the issues caused by this drought.

We have confirmed venues in Cape Town, Durban and Pretoria with more to
follow in other cities.

How can you get involved?

   1. Attend one of our local hackathons on 2 April 2016. Sign up here
   <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1P8foYUlfPzH4Mj4TrLX02Labmz5_45Hd1Y4ZivXOiFI/viewform>
   .
   2.

   Host a hackathon (with our help) on 2 April 2016. Register here
   <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1WB-ygiEdlKIYCin0pYv9XqF78yzLpvigreSLgPoxvO4/viewform>
   .
   3.

   Submit a video entry to the #Hack4Water challenge here
   <http://www.hack4water.org.za/>.

Hacks for the #hack4water challenge can take the form of a big idea,
commercial product, community initiative, school project, home solution,
inspiring water story, app or online tool, research paper, invention, a
cool water-related song or dance or something we haven’t even thought of,
as long as it relates to tackling water issues.

You are free to submit multiple entries and there some great incentives and
prizes up for grabs for both the hackathons and the national challenge.

To take part in this challenge, submit a 2-minute introducing your water
hack, upload it to YouTube and submit the link to your video on the
submission form at www.hack4water.org.za.
<https://twitter.com/hack4water>
<https://www.facebook.com/Hack4Water-181339348908125/?fref=ts>
<http://www.hack4water.org.za/>
*Copyright © 2016. Code for South Africa. All rights reserved.*

You can update your preferences
<http://code4sa.us8.list-manage1.com/profile?u=11977a67604b965526b63ee6e&id=656d512cfc&e=>
or unsubscribe from this list
<http://code4sa.us8.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=11977a67604b965526b63ee6e&id=656d512cfc&e=&c=85664a051e>

--
Adi Eyal
Director

phone: +27 78 014 2469
skype: adieyalcas
linkedin: http://za.linkedin.com/pub/dir/Adi/Eyal
web: http://www.code4sa.org
twitter: @soapsudtycoon

Follow us on twitter at @code4sa
For more information on how to participate in the open data community in
South Africa, go to: http://www.code4sa.org/#community
Sign up for Naked Data, our weekly round-up of what's happening locally and
internationally in data journalism and data visualisation. Register here:
http://www.code4sa.org/newsletter