[Open-access] FOSsil Bank Update (11 August 2012)

Chris Sakkas sanglorian at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 06:40:42 UTC 2012

 Hi folks,

For a couple of years, I've kept the FOSsil Bank
wiki,<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/>which is a collection of libre
resources (as well as proprietary resources
under what I call shareable
licences<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/shareable-resources>).
For a couple of months, I've regularly posted updates about what new
entries have been added to the wiki. These updates go to the Living Libre
blog <http://livinglibre1.wordpress.com/> and the Free Culture discussion
well received.

Last week I sent around an update to the OKFN mailing list, and Joris Pekel
recommended this mailing list as the best place for future updates—let me
know if that's a problem!

Hi folks,

Another week and another update for the FOSsil Bank, a wiki of shareable
resources. As always, let me know if you have any suggestions.
#FundFreeCulture

When I find a libre licensed work up on Kickstarter, IndieGoGo or another
crowdfunding tool, I’ll tweet about it with the tag #FundFreeCulture. Feel
free to do the same!

   -

   Ronaldo Tours<http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/npeaches/ronaldo-tours-a-travel-webseries>is
a documentary about a fictional Italian. The compilation will be CC
   BY-NC-SA, but the assets will be CC BY. ($265 of $500, 34 days to go)
   -

   Lunatics Animated Series
Pilot<http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2144275086/lunatics-animated-series-pilot-no-children-in-spac>is
an animated science fiction TV episode. ($1,759 of $100,000, 9 days to
   go)

Libre Resources

   -

   There are links to the rules for Dungeons & Dragons
3.0<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/work:dungeons-dragons-3e>in HTML
form. (OGL)
   -

   Adobe has released the font Source Sans
Pro<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/work:source-sans-pro>under the OFL.
   -

   The International Free and Open Source Software Law
Review<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/work:international-free-open-source-software-law-review>has
articles under libre licences (but also CC BY-ND).
   -

   The Directory of Open Access
Journals<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/source:directory-of-open-access-journals>sorts
open access journals by a number of criteria, including those under
   CC licences and those specifically under CC BY.
   -

   The Public Library of Science
<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/source:plos>has gathered links to all
of its CC BY journals on the one page.
   -

   The Adventurer Conquerer King
System,<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/work:adventurer-conquerer-king-system>an
old-school roleplaying game, is under the OGL but not available
gratis.
   -

   Open Mission Control
Technologies,<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/work:open-mission-control-technologies>the
program that NASA used to land Curiosity on Mars, is under the Apache
   2.0 licence.

Liberated Pixel Cup Content

Liberated Pixel Cup
contributions<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/source:liberated-pixel-cup>were
licensed under CC BY-SA or GNU GPL (or both).

The following entries are HTML5 games that can be played online without
downloading anything.

   -

   Sorcerer's Garden
<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/work:sorcerer-s-garden>is a game where
you grow plants that allow you to use spells.
   -

   MonkStory <http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/work:monkstory> is a shooter
   game where you are attacked on all sides by monsters and must defend your
   monastery.
   -

   In Volley Zombie, <http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/work:volley-zombie> you
   try to keep the ball up while blasting approaching zombies.
   -

   Ye Olde Adventure
Shoppe<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/work:ye-olde-adventure-shoppe>is
a proof-of-concept for a shopkeep game.
   -

   In Farm Taken Over,
<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/work:farm-taken-over>you can use the
light to ward off attackers—but don't turn your back!

Proprietary Shareable Resources

   -

   SCIRES-IT <http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/work:scires-it> *'provides a
   forum for the exchange and sharing of know-how in the areas of
   Digitalization and Multimedia Technologies and Information & Communication
   Technology (ICT) in support of Cultural and environmental Heritage (CH)
   documentation, preservation and fruition.'*

Wiki Changes

   -

   There's now a page for HTML5
software.<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/platform:html5>Currently, the
only entries are contributions to the Liberated Pixel Cup.
   -

   There's now a category for
Fonts<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/category:font>(they used to be
tucked under the Art category).