[Open-access] Fwd: Fee-free scholarly publishing

Richard Poynder ricky at richardpoynder.co.uk
Thu Aug 16 08:21:50 UTC 2012

Dear All,

I realise that this thread is a discussion of how to document and support
"fee-free" OA journals, but it might be useful to put in context the comment
below that 70% of journals listed in the DOAJ (in 2009) were no-fee.

I say this because some might conclude on reading the comment that 70% of
*papers* published in OA journals are being published without a fee. This is
clearly not so. While some of the journals in DOAJ may currently be
publishing no more than a handful of papers, others will be publishing many
more. Indeed, for-fee "mega journals" will be publishing a great many more.
Thus PLoS ONE (which charges an APC of $1,350) is now publishing around
2,000 papers a month, and expects to publish 3% of the STM literature this
year
(http://blogs.plos.org/everyone/2012/05/18/plos-one-a-personal-farewell/).

Moreover, as subscription publishers increasingly embrace OA we can be sure
that they will be doing so by charging an APC.

As such, I assume that we have no idea at all of how many OA *papers* are
being published on a no-fee basis. (Or perhaps someone does have some data
here)?

Either way, list members will doubtless feel that this makes it is all the
more important to document and support fee-free journals.

Best wishes,

Richard Poynder