[Open-access] FOSsil Bank Update (18 August 2012)

Chris Sakkas sanglorian at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 04:10:27 UTC 2012

Another week and another update for the FOSsil Bank, a wiki of shareable
resources. As always, let me know if you have any suggestions.
#FundFreeCulture

When I find a libre licensed work up on Kickstarter, IndieGoGo or another
crowdfunding tool, I’ll tweet about it with the tag #FundFreeCulture. Feel
free to do the same!

   - Ronaldo Tours<http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/npeaches/ronaldo-tours-a-travel-webseries>is
a documentary about a fictional Italian. The compilation will be CC
   BY-NC-SA, but the assets will be CC BY. ($265 of $500, 34 days to go)
   - Lunatics<http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2144275086/lunatics-pilot-episode-voice-drama-and-animatic>is
back on Kickstarter, this time with a more modest fundraising goal and
   smaller project (this will just fund the voice drama and animatic). CC
   BY-SA ($960 of $4,235, 21 days to go)

Libre Resources

   - The Inventory of FLOSS in the Cultural Heritage
Domain<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/source:inventory-of-floss-in-the-cultural-heritage-domain>is
a list of libre software related to culture and content.
   - The Open English
Bible<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/work:open-english-bible>is a
project to create a modern public domain English translation of the
   Bible. (CCO)
   - School Daze <http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/work:school-daze> is a
   tabletop RPG about high school. (CC BY-SA)
   - Comunes <http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/source:comunes> is a collective
   dedicated to the use of libre tools to grow the commons. (CC BY-SA)
   - The Libre Graphics Research
Unit<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/source:libre-graphics-research-unit>is
‘a traveling lab where new ideas for creative tools are developed’.
   (Free Art License)
   - Wiley Open
Access<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/source:wiley-open-access>has a
number of CC BY journals and a few CC BY-NC journals.
   - Tejid at s Junt at s <http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/work:tejidas-juntas> is
   a documentary about the anti-sweatshop movement. (CC BY-SA)

Liberated Pixel Cup

This week there are some more HTML5 games from the Liberated Pixel Cup
available for you to play without downloading.

   - In The Liberate Pixil Cup
Quest<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/work:the-liberate-pixil-cup-quest>you
fight monsters turn-by-turn.
   - Slime Attack <http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/work:slime-attack> is a
   tower defence game.
   - In Neverwell Moor
<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/work:neverwell-moor>you wander around
an island exploring and fighting.
   - In Big Island <http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/work:big-island> you
   defend island inhabitants from skeletons.
   - In AfterImage, <http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/work:afterimage> you can
   travel forward in time to bypass obstacles and discover hidden items.
   - Pixel Quest <http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/work:pixel-quest> is a
   simple game where you wander around avoiding enemies.
   - In Crossword Maze
<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/work:crossword-maze>you wander around
collecting letters.
   - Forge <http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/work:forge> is a basic game.

Proprietary Shareable Resources

   - Curt Smith <http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/source:curt-smith> is a
   musician. (CC BY-NC-SA)
   - Pirate Game <http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/work:pirate-game> is a
   tabletop RPG set on a watery world. (CC BY-NC-SA)
   - TV Tropes <http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/work:tv-tropes> is a website
   about tropes in fiction, mythology and real life. (CC BY-NC-SA)
   - Khan Academy <http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/source:khan-academy> has
   video lessons and online tests so you can teach yourself. (CC BY-NC-SA)

Enjoy!

*Chris Sakkas
**Admin of the FOSsil Bank wiki <http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/> and the Living
Libre blog <http://www.livinglibre.com> and Twitter