[Open-access] Criticisms of Finch proposals

Reckling, Falk, Dr. Falk.Reckling at fwf.ac.at
Sat Dec 8 16:34:39 UTC 2012

I fully agree with Ross. It makes no sense to criticize<http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/english-german/criticize.html> the RCUK policy without having proper alternatives. Sure, the RUCK policy is an experiment. But we need such experiments like this or SCOAP³ because other alternatives (incl. green) do not really work, especially they do not obviously change the publication system based on subscriptions so far. (To my mind, PLoS and similar gold models have been affected the system more effectively than most of the puristic "green-only-policies".)

One of the major lessons from databases like www.journalprices.com<http://www.journalprices.com/> is: If we do not want that oligopolistic commercial publishers dominate the prices for publications, public research funders, public research institutions and charities and should increase their support for cost-effective alternative models like PEERJ, Forum of Mathematics, IZA Journals, elife and others ...

And finally, who cares that publishers make profits if the costs are reasonable?

Best,

Falk