[Open-access] [okfn-discuss] History Journal editors on open access

Ross Mounce ross.mounce at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 11:40:56 UTC 2012

Cameron's just posted a lovely, positive rejoinder here:
http://cameronneylon.net/blog/oa-and-the-uk-humanities-social-sciences-wrong-risks-and-missed-opportunities/<http://cameronneylon.net/blog/oa-and-the-uk-humanities-social-sciences-wrong-risks-and-missed-opportunities/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ScienceInTheOpen+%28Science+in+the+open%29>

On 12 December 2012 11:19, Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org> wrote:

> (cc'ing open-access list)
>
> I recently raised this this with the open-access list, in anticipation of
> precisely these kinds of criticisms [1]. Might it be worth coming up with a
> brief rejoinder addressing some of the main misconceptions? Anyone up for
> pitching in?
>
> J.
>
> [1] http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/open-access/2012-December/000996.html
>

> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 9:56 AM, Michael Bauer <michael.bauer at okfn.org>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 09:50:29PM +0000, John Levin wrote:
>> > Dear all,
>> >
>> > Quote:
>> > "The licence that we will offer for publication in EITHER green OR
>> > gold will be a CCBY NC ND (creative commons non-commercial
>> > non-derivative) licence only; that is, it will not allow commercial
>> > reuse, or tweaking or reuse of parts of an article (text mining).
>>
>> I can do text mining with only reading - now what?
>>
>> > The government has specified that ‘gold’ access is to be given on a
>> > CCBY licence, the most permissive form of creative commons licence
>> > that there is. This however means that commercial re-use,
>> > plagiarism, and republication of an author’s work will be possible,
>> > subject to the author being ‘credited’ (but it is not clear in what
>>
>> Isn't plagiarism taking someone elses work and claiming it's yours? How is
>> this "possible" differently than with any other text. CC BY does not allow
>> claiming it's yours.
>>
>> > way they would be credited). We believe that this is a serious
>> > infringement of intellectual property rights and we do not want our
>> > authors to have to sign away their rights in order to publish with
>> > us."
>>
>> Michael
>>
>> --
>> Data Wrangler with the Open Knowledge Foundation (OKFN.org)
>> GPG/PGP key: http://tentacleriot.eu/mihi.asc
>> Twitter: @mihi_tr Skype: mihi_tr

> Jonathan Gray <http://jonathangray.org/> | @jwyg <http://twitter.com/jwyg>
> The Open Knowledge Foundation <http://okfn.org/> | @okfn<http://twitter.com/okfn>
> Support our work: okfn.org/support

Ross Mounce
PhD Student & Open Knowledge Foundation Panton Fellow
Fossils, Phylogeny and Macroevolution Research Group
University of Bath, 4 South Building, Lab 1.07
http://about.me/rossmounce