[Open-access] Next Skype call on Thursday at 10am GMT

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Feb 1 17:13:14 UTC 2012

We should propose some clear agenda points for tomorrow's meeting. Please
edit/change any of this - it's to get us started.

My analysis
* a number of people are seriously interested in this subject and concerned
about changing the current situation in some way
* we are agreed on some things (e.g. BOAI- and OKD- compliant scholarship)
* we differ on some aspects and we are reformulating our ideas as a result
of the discussion. There are probably areas where we shall agree to differ.
* this should not be yet another talking shop. We are prepared to make a
personal practical effort to support this

We should therefore think about things we can do which will help the
community (including widening it) and the level of debate. As a start we
have:
* project(s) where we can collect and manage valuable data/resources in new
and valuable ways.
* a formulation of the main aspects of Openness from a BOAI-oriented
standpoint. Why are these important? What needs to change to make them
happen? Maybe state what we would like to arrive at, rather than how we get
there. I think carefully written position papers will be valued by the
community but it could involve additional research and that's costly and
time-consuming.
* development/tools that help to promote Openness both for real use and
advocacy.

None of this should prevent all of the list being full participants. If we
can create something which is seen to be useful by others then it gains us
traction. It doesn't depend on whether we are proposing revolution or
evolution.

I have copied this into the pad...