[Open-access] Eric Raymond offer to help with "Open Access"

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Mon Feb 6 15:52:40 UTC 2012

A bit off-topic, but ...

On 6 February 2012 15:46, Nick Barnes <nb at climatecode.org> wrote:
> In contrast, Richard Stallman, for whom I have huge respect (and with
> whose politics I generally agree) sent me an email complaining about
> my use of the expression "Free and Open Source software" in supporting
> materials for the Science Code Manifesto, and has declined to endorse
> the Manifesto (apparently because of my use of that expression in
> those supporting materials).

No question, Stallman can also be abrasive!  But without having seen
your manifesto of his email, my guess is that his objection would be
to the use of the term FOSS which blurs the philosophical distinction
between Free Software and Open Source.  I suspect that if you reworded
the manifesto so that it endorsed both without implying that they are
the same thing, then he would probably endorse it.

-- Mike.