[Open-access] Meeting on Thursday at 10am

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Feb 10 10:47:03 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 10:02 AM, Tom Olijhoek <tom.olijhoek at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have talked to Bart and he is all in for crowdsourcing through
> MalariaWorld.
> Peter, could you outline what it is that they should do? Editing links to
> full text, editing tags for Open Access? more?

Fantastic!

> During the meeting you said that we could approach WHO and others once we
> would be ready to go public. As I recall it you mentioned an Alphaversion
> for the Index to be ready in 2-3 weeks.
> Do you then plan to go public once we have the Alpha version, that is how
> I understood it..
>
> Yes, possibly, yes

It's down to the editability and that's down to Mark and the team.

I am lining up several demos of malaria.bibsoup
* a well-known Open Access publisher at start March
* a well-known UK research funder
* UKPMC
* yourselves

When demoing things to non-geeks you have to hit people in the first 15
seconds. The wow! factor. If you foul up you never get a second chance.
Bibserver is very close to that. But it can, occasionally, fall over.

Bibsoup is ready for query and display NOW. The question is - is there
enough useful stuff in the current content? can you find questions which
will excite people **in the malaria field**. If yes, then we need to start
preparing them now.

If there needs to be more info in malaria.bibsoup then it has to be added
either machines or humans or both. We cannot use textmining of content
because of publisher-restrictions. (We could do this on the BOAI-subset
once we determine it).

There a few things we may be able to do automatically:
* extract author affiliations from splashpages
* extract their cities and countries. This could be valuable as it shows
collaborative projects.
* textmine the online abstracts. I don't think there is any contractual
restriction on this so they would have to plead copyright violation.
* label the default Openness by using Ross Mounce's fantastic spreadsheet.
Thus all BMC and PLoS journals translate to open - we can add that. All
Elsevier papers (eg in Cell) are default closed. We need a symbol for
"closed by default".

So I suspect that the first phase will be human annotation. This means that
we have to have the editing tool. I can see the following strategies:
* adding links to other resources. Nice to read an online resource (could
be data, etc.)and be able to click a button and have it added to the
bibsoup entry
* annotating openness. When we follow the entry on a closed by default and
find that the paper is actually visible we can annotate it as such
* incorporate alt-metrics

Mark knows what we need better than we do ourselves :-)

So what we should do now is to discuss what we want, what's possible, when
it's possible. As soon as something is reasonably possible we look for
crowdsourcing.

For crowdsourcing there are very strong social norms. Crowdsourcers are
first-class citizens. They are part of us. Read "Reinventing Discovery".
Visit Galaxy Zoo. Look at openStreetMap. Get this right and this will take
off. The world will own the result.

But it's important to start with a good (not perfect) toolkit.
Crowdsourcing depends on doing the job at hand - not fighting and designing
the tools. We might , of course, find tool designers who want  to play that
role here. If we start to be successful we certainly will.

BTW I was amazed and horrified to find yesterday that 60% of Tawny Owls in
UK have malaria. It's in Wikpedia. But the original paper is closed
access.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avian_malaria

P.

TOM