[Open-access] Collections of Libre material

Tom Olijhoek tom.olijhoek at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 14:14:48 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I liked your blogs on @ccess very much. Well done Peter. And your article
on open access was class storytelling also, Mike.
Regarding the ongoing discussion on content. I do think it  a priority to
have as many links as possible to* full* content, by promoting archiving of
papers with @ccess, by linking to open access articles, by using the Open
Access Index as a means to influence the public opinion and politicians.
Especially for scientists access to *complete* articles and data
is compulsory, but I guess that for "laymen" illustrative pictures and
abstracts would be sufficient. The database should be useful for all.
Regarding the lack of peer review. Once preview papers are deposited wirh
@ccess nothing can stop us from using new ways of review and impact
assessment with the help of the respective scientific communities. So I
would see a role for the MalariaWorld community in reviewing / ranking
papers and for our initiative to use new tools for impact assessment like
pageviews, social media buzz etc. I think that the scientific communities
will prove to be very able to review their members work and improve on it,
if our gateway gives them the tools and access to each other and to
(scientific) information. I am confident that @ccess can be a catalyst
towards networked scientific communities, a source of information for
non-scientific communities and a means for communication between scientists
and citizens. That is new compared with for instance ResearchGate.
When I see that ResearchGate .is very successful, so will we !

TOM