[Open-access] Collections of Libre material

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Feb 13 18:19:38 UTC 2012

When I blogged my examination of Avian malaria I found 2/70 papers which
were obviously BOAI-compliant and about 13 more which were readable. It's
possible that a few of these are BOAI-open, and I didn't mean to imply that
all 15 have satisfactory licences. I guess that most of them do not even
have a licence of any sort.

The only positive aspect is that this is initially a per-journal problem.
For example I find:
J Wildl Dis. <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17984251#> 2007
Oct;43(4):567-75.
has visible content - I can read it.
But If I want to use it in course material then I have to purchase this
from a rights management company.
This is therefore NOT BOAI-OPEN and not acceptable to @ccess (reading is
not enough)
I think it will be useful for us to gather information for re-use by
students as well as subscription prices. I think if we can show students
that they are having to pay through their tuition fees for published
material we may generate some interest.