[Open-access] Unhelpful post from Heather Morrison

Jenny Molloy jcmcoppice12 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 13:28:11 UTC 2012

>* list the advantages of formal @ccess-compliance
>* provide stories of user success and frustration
Don't forget the web content sprint tomorrow from 2pm! We can hopefully get
some good things together on this.

>* discover more @ccess-compliant  resources
>* build automated ingestion and annotaion

While we're discovering more at ccess compliant resources, it might also be
good to combine some of the tools, ideas and data we already have to create
a database/permissions clarification request service (along the lines of
isitopendata.org) called isitopenaccess.org?

We could load it with as extensive a list of journals as we think
appropriate, input all the data from Ross' spreadsheet on permissions and
attempt to crowdsource more. There could also be a IIOD? style button so
the publisher can be contacted regarding unclear policies.

This would eventually allow faceted browsing by license/permission. It
performs a different role to the OpenBib based service at the article level.

It wouldn't be a trivial exercise but I think it could be quite useful as
it seems that at the moment it's not easy for scientists when deciding
where to publish to work out exactly how open access different journals
really are and it could be a helpful selection tool without forcing people
to visit every journal website individually.

Does anyone think this would be worthwhile and/or used? I'm really keen to
get all the great work Ross did more visible than on the googledoc where it
currently resides.

Jenny