[Open-access] Authors' manuscripts

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Feb 15 09:17:59 UTC 2012

I have copied this list into a reply from Elsevier on the GOAL list. This
gives us an important source of BOAI manuscripts

When authors deposit their pre-publication manuscript under green open
access the copyright resides with the authors not the publishers. In the
case of the US government there is no copyright. That means that if we
discover these manuscripts we can immediately label them as CC0.

There seems to be a stock phrase which Elsevier requires to be inserted.
This allows us to search for and verify that this manuscript is not
Publisher copyright. It is probably part of the mechanics of author-self
archiving in repositories. Here is an example:

http://www.personal.rdg.ac.uk/~sxs98ltb/chambersLobbButlerHarveyTraill.pdf(nothing
to do with malaria)

Now we cannot redistribute this but what we can do is ask repositories to
add buttons encouraging their authors to licence their manuscripts as
CC-BY. This would be a huge step forward.

Self-deposition appears to vary between 8 and 80% in Belgium. If we can get
the more pro-active universities to agree this concept we could make those
institutions CC-BY. Let's think out the details and then start pushing the
idea.

P.