[Open-access] Authors' manuscripts

Tom Olijhoek tom.olijhoek at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 14:08:55 UTC 2012

Peter,

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 2:38 PM, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Mike Taylor <mike at indexdata.com> wrote:
>
>> This is a new an terrifying wrinkle.  If generally true, it seems to
>> punch a huge hole through Green OA.
>>

> Mike,
> The hole has been there for years. Green OA guarantees only that somewhere
> on the web by some unspecified mechanism a human can get photons from the
> article. There is no right to download (Pubmed forbids anything other than
> reading). there is no right to re-use.
>
> Stevan Harnad is very happy with this state of affairs. If all articles
> have "his" Green Open Access. I disagree but there is no meeting of minds.
> Since Green OA means acquiescing to publishers rather than fighting for our
> rights it's the easy way for universities to go.
>
> I am conscious that if I deliver too many shocks to your system you might
> have a seizure but be aware that almost nothing in Institutional Reposities
> is BOAI-compliant. Most is unlabelled. Much is Green OA

Are you aware of the EU repository policy papers and the information on
Openaire/
http://www.openaire.eu/en/support/copyright

In most cases, authors grant permission by *signing over copyright *to the
publisher. This gives the publisher the full rights in and control over the
article. Consequently, if an author wishes to reuse the article at a later
stage, e.g. to make the work available in Open Access, he/she will have to
ask permission from the publisher to do so.
Alternatively, authors can grant the publisher a* Licence to
Publish<http://www.openaire.eu/en/support/copyright/284-what-is-a-licence-to-publish>
*. With this agreement, authors can retain copyright and the right to
deposit the article in an Open Access repository, while providing the
publisher with the necessary rights to publish the article.

As far as I can tell the EU Openaire repositories are BOAI compliant