[Open-access] Website up and running!

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Feb 20 08:29:01 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 1:27 AM, Daniel Mietchen <
daniel.mietchen at googlemail.com> wrote:

> If you need images, what about featuring the Open Access File of the
> Day from Wikimedia Commons?
> It's available via
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Open_Access_File_of_the_Day
> , and I am currently looking into ways of providing RSS feeds for it.

Brilliant idea.
One of the great things that @ccess could do is to aggregate (directly or
through links) material that can be reused. Thus if I need a picture of a
mosquito biting something I can just go there and find it.

There is an obvious synergy with Wikimedia. One thing we can probably do is
extract images from feeds of Open scientific information (such as Open
access journals, government reports, etc.). We'll probably have to label
these manually (though I can see certain areas using image processing) and
then use faceted searching and browsing.

Until that happens,