[Open-access] I think "Who Needs Access?" is ready to go

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Feb 20 08:36:21 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 1:31 AM, Mike Taylor <mike at indexdata.com> wrote:

> Well, we have lift-off!  I have removed the Do Not Index instruction
> from the site, tweeted it:
>        https://twitter.com/#!/SauropodMike/status/171403113230647296
> and briefly blogged it on Sauropod Vertebra Picture of the Week:
>
> http://svpow.wordpress.com/2012/02/20/a-new-site-who-needs-access-you-need-access/
>
> I would appreciate it someone could add a link from the main @ccess
> site.  Also if those of you who blog could blog about it, and those of
> you who tweet could tweet about it.

Laura and I will announce it at CambGeeknight

I am SO delighted how well and quickly this has worked out. We originally
spent just over a week in offlist mails and then ideas started
crystallising, especially that we should DO something, that we would
address the positive rather than niggle at the negative.

@ccess scales. It's got an absolutely clear purpose - find (or liberate)
BOAI-compliant material, and show how it can be re-used. Sub-plot: build a
new generation of tools to maximise the value.

One of the exciting things is the network effect. Because we blog, tweet,
etc. we discover new people and new resources. When there is a bit more on
the site that could be time for another article or report in the Guardian.

P.