[Open-access] Website up and running!

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Feb 20 09:15:24 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 8:40 AM, Tom Olijhoek <tom.olijhoek at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 9:29 AM, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk>wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 1:27 AM, Daniel Mietchen <
>> daniel.mietchen at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> If you need images, what about featuring the Open Access File of the
>>> Day from Wikimedia Commons?
>>> It's available via
>>> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Open_Access_File_of_the_Day
>>> , and I am currently looking into ways of providing RSS feeds for it.
>>>

>> Brilliant idea.
>> One of the great things that @ccess could do is to aggregate (directly or
>> through links) material that can be reused. Thus if I need a picture of a
>> mosquito biting something I can just go there and find it.
>>
>> There is an obvious synergy with Wikimedia. One thing we can probably do
>> is extract images from feeds of Open scientific information (such as Open
>> access journals, government reports, etc.). We'll probably have to label
>> these manually (though I can see certain areas using image processing) and
>> then use faceted searching and browsing.
>>

> we could make a page on the @ccess website with a search gallery of
> available pictures that we aggregate and links to other places like
> wikimedia
>

>> To clarify:
* we would extract a significant and useful amount of BOAI material from
scholpubs. I'd include grey matter such as research organization reports,
etc. funders material, etc.
* we'd do this by automatic methods and crowdsourcing
* we'd label this with rights, content, technical metadata, etc. (similar
to Wikimedia commons)
* we provide faceted browsing and searching
* We'd provide a series of RSS feeds based on our labelling. These could be
consumed by Wikimedia and other projects

The uniqueness of @ccess is:
* it's limited to scholarship
* we bring a large amount of expertise to maximise the amount of material
extracted (e.g. we understand licences, publishers, etc in a way that other
sites may not)
* the use and linking is created with special relevance to re-use of
scholarship. That will depend on the field - reusing a malaria photograph
needs different support from re-using an image of a papyrus
* we have a major emphasis on extracted data.
[and I am sure you can add more]