[Open-access] How to cite the Panton Principles?

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Feb 21 18:51:49 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 6:28 PM, Klaus Graf <klausgraf at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Open Access refers according the Berlin definition also to heritage
> items whic is a central point for me.
>
> "Berlin Declaration on Open Access to Knowledge in the Sciences and
> Humanities"
>
> I cannot understand the enthusiasm for BOAI if that means that the
> Berlin progress is ignored.
>
> "Open access contributions include original scientific research
> results, raw data and metadata, source
> materials, digital representations of pictorial and graphical
> materials and scholarly multimedia
> material."
>
> I would be delighted if all these could be included but it will require a
massive shift in scholarly opinion. The key point for me is that factual
data cannot be copyrighted and are effectively PD. in PP-1.0 we were
addressing scientific data as already in the public domain but not widely
represented as such. Metadata, pictorial and graphical materials are
copyrightable. So there is a fundamental difference - we would be asking
for people to change the copyright on copyrighted material. The PP and the
Principles of Open Bibliography required people simply to assert what they
believe to the the rights to data ad=nd bibliographic metadata - that they
are inherently PD.

P.

> Data isn't defined there and I cannot see any valid reason not to
> transfer the Panton Principles 1:1 to scholarship outside science. I
> do not have to work hard to define what is data and what is open. Data
> is all the researchers need for his research, and open is open
> according the OKF-definition.
>
>  Is a photograph of an archaeological site data in law? No, it's protected
by copyright. The author would have to deliberately give up rights. We
still have to fight this in science as well.

Klaus