[Open-access] Green Gold Gratis Libre

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Feb 24 13:21:42 UTC 2012

We had a brief discussion at the end of today's skype on Green/Gold and
Open Access. We agree that Green and Gold do not define whether something
is/isNot BOAI-OK. It may be useful to define what some of these are:

LIBRE: This is effectively synonymous with BOAI.

GRATIS: This is free of financial charge. That is all. It does not
guarantee:
  * re-use rights
  * permanency (free beer is usually constrained in time)
  * lack of technical constraints. (Users may be required to register,
receive adverts, etc.)
  * considerations of access (for humans, machines, etc.)

GREEN: The means that one of the following has put "a scholarly
publication" on the web:
  * a human author or their representative
  * the human's employer/institution/department
  * a publisher acting on the behalf of the author. An example is that a
publisher may deposit the manuscript in an institutional repo
  Undefined aspects are:
    - length of greenness. An author may not guarantee infinite visibility
    - rights. These are usually poorly defined
    - time of deposit (i.e. is there a delay after publication)
  It is unclear whether a publisher who makes material GRATIS after a
period makes that material "Green". Some Green publishing requires that
publications are only available on certain sites and not on others

GOLD: This means that a publisher has put the material on the web as part
of the publication process. Undefined aspects:
    - length of goldness. this is normally infinite
    - rights. These are sometimes CC-BY but often NC or poorly defined
    - time of deposit (i.e. is there a window after publication)

We agree that Green-CC-BY is possible (e.g. nature Precedings). Green does
not imply any requirement to announce or register the site(s)..

Please hack any of this. We can then start to put it on the wiki

P.