[Open-access] new open access initiative

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Mon Jan 30 13:40:57 UTC 2012

I very much like all the ideas proposed here, and I think that
reclaiming the term "open access" to mean actually open rather than
whatever is the least the publishers can get away with calling "open"
is important.

My only reservation is that I fear the possibility that starting a new
initiative will further fragment the already fragmented OA landscape
rather than serving as a condensation point for a more unified voice.
(I think of the many attempts to unify document formats by making a
simple metaformat that can be translated into HTML, RTF, etc., with
the inevitable consequence that the new format becomes just one more
format that needs supporting.)

What can we do to avoid this?

-- Mike.