[Open-access] An anti-RWA bill

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Mon Jan 30 20:36:27 UTC 2012

Folks,

The point has been made in respect of SOPA and PIPA that although the
recent Internet blackouts of sites such as Wikipedia halted the
current approach, they have not resulted in any actual progress --
just in retardation of the rate at which we're going backwards.

Assuming that the current round of revolt against the RWA is
successful, the same will be the case with respect to academic
publishing.  I find myself thinking that rather that fighting a
rearguard action, we should be taking the battle to the publishers.  I
would like to see a movement to get rid of the NIH's twelve-month
grace period before the articles it funds are posted at PubMed
Central.

Does anyone have any idea how such a thing could be kicked off?  Would
it be a legislative matter, so that we would need to approach a
congressman to propose it?  Or is it something that the NIH itself
would do?

-- Mike.