[Open-access] fairy tale and more

Tom Olijhoek tom.olijhoek at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 13:57:37 UTC 2012

Hi all

On the Skype call today we had a very interesting discussion on how to get
to open access in practice.
There is the political lobby that is necessary (Cameron told some hows and
why's) and also  the bottom up kind of revolution needed in the scientific
community, where I have painted a strategy that I also put as a comment to
PMR fairy tale story
http://blogs.ch.cam.ac.uk/pmr/2012/07/12/reforming-scholpub-a-fairy-tale/
I also happened to see a contribution yesterday in the OKF ideas incubator
that I think is of interest
http://ideas.okfn.org/ideas/422/a-web-community-of-academics-with-the-aim-of-killing-the-current-journal-publishing-model
Let's discuss how we can advance and get open access as the publishing
standard for science in our lifetime. Peter suggested (jokingly) a sort of
pirate party for open access to science. I think we can organize
communities of scientists and non-scientists for different fields, start
with a small number of these and let this grow organically.
All ideas on how to proceed, please share!

TOM