[Open-access] Elsevier 'sponsored article'

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Fri Mar 2 09:33:33 UTC 2012

On 2 March 2012 09:19, cameronneylon.net <cn at cameronneylon.net> wrote:
> There's nothing new here unfortunately. Standard practice.

There's nothing *surprising* here.  But for many people (including me)
the actual information is new: I certainly couldn't find anything like
this on Elsevier's site.  Which is why I think it's important to
publish it elsewhere (in this case on SV-POW!).

> Note that they don't actually answer either of the two direct questions. To which the answers are no and no.

Well, they do.  Roberts is instructed to sign the usual copyright
transfer form, so evidently Elsevier keep copyright; and "freely
available to all on Science Direct only" answers the question about
"is the file allowed to be hosted anywhere else".

> They do a different deal with the Wellcome who require more freedom to re-use but they don't provide that to anyone else. Interestingly they charge the same amount to Wellcome as to everyone else as well...

That IS interesting.

-- Mike.