[Open-access] Letter to publishers - URGENT

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Mon Mar 5 09:07:29 UTC 2012

That all looks good to me.  Only one nit to pick: the statement "facts
are not copyright" is an apples-to-elephants comparison.  We should
say something like "facts are not SUBJECT TO copyright".

No doubt many of the replies you receive will attempt to finesse the
issue by saying things that (they feel) fall short of an actual "no",
such as "we except that the amount should be limited".  We should not
ignore such detail, but clearly we mustn't allow it to blur the clear
picture that we want to present.  So my suggestion is that we present
the results of this survey as a list of YES and NO in bold; but then
include an annex with the detailed statements.

Finally, I don't know which publishers you plan to contact, but please
be sure to include some YESses, such as PLoS, as well as the Elseviers
and Springers.  Otherwise if we end up with a document that is just
NO, NO, NO all the way down, we risk making it seem as though the
publishing industry has a united front supporting a reasonable
position, and we are unreasonable for wanting/expecting it to be
different.  Instead, we want to draw lines between the publishers that
co-operate and those that don't.

-- Mike.