[Open-access] Discussions with Elsevier on information-mining

Tom Olijhoek tom.olijhoek at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 09:14:43 UTC 2012

Hi Peter and others,

I agree that all this is very very frustrating.
Still your action of calling different publishers in public to express
their views on textmining is the right strategy.
In the first place we have to make this knowledge (on the policy for
textmining) as public as possible.
Also, reading several OA policy papers (boring) from the EU  and the Ghent
declaration<http://www.openaire.eu/nl/component/content/article/76-highlights/223-seizing-the-opportunity-for-open-access-to-european-research-ghent-declaration-published>of
the EU that was signed by
 Gregor Hagedorn, Julius Kühn-Institute, BerlinFrederick Friend, University
College London, Jean-Claude Guédon, Université de Montréal and John
Willinsky, Stanford University it seems to me that we might find a strong
ally in "OpenAire" and Neelie Kroes".
We will need a lot of political pressure to achieve our goals and if we
could get Neelie Kroes at our side it could make a difference.
But perhaps I am naive to think that politics can actually change things ;)
TOM