[Open-access] "the publishing community" Re: Trying to index the malaria literature for BOAI-Openness - what has to be done paper-by-paper?

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Wed Mar 28 09:13:17 UTC 2012

On 28 March 2012 10:04,  <koltzenburg at w4w.net> wrote:
> Hi pmr,
>
>> systematic
>> downloading of abstracts is, I think , forbidden by the publishing
>> community
>
> well, actually publishers are birds of many feathers,
> I would like to caution against othering "them" into one and the same (closed) pot :-)
> better don't glue them together as birds of only one feather,

The problem is, in the absence of explicit machine-readable statements
from each publisher about reuse rights of each journal or even each
article, the only safe course is to assume the worst, and not use what
you don't KNOW you can use.

For publishers that want to be The Good Guys, and want their articles
to be part of mining initiatives, the onus is on them to find good,
clear ways to communicate what rights are available.  This is probably
a good place to start:
        http://creativecommons.org/ns

-- Mike.