[Open-access] NPG plan to charge significantly MORE for CC BY

Ross Mounce ross.mounce at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 22:06:24 UTC 2012

Björn I agree.

I just wasn't expecting NPG to be so bare-faced about exploiting the new
push for OA, to squeeze out every last £ profit possible - upto an extra
£400 it would seem for the 'privilege' of CC BY.

They have their headquarters in London, and yet they make a change to their
pricing scheme that obviously exploits new RCUK policy?

Even if this is 'expected' rational behaviour from a for-profit commercial
publisher - to maximize profits; I hope I've made their announcement and
its possible consequences more well known now.

Perhaps the UK government could step-in and examine whether these
additional 'premium' OA charges are actually justified?
Get some actual market regulation in to stop this absurd price-hiking.

I cannot imagine many deadtree (paper) reprints would be sold for
non-pharma related articles. Can one really justify an extra £200 charge on
a Psychiatry article to be published CC BY in '*Translational Psychiatry*'?

Ross