[Open-access] amended draft mail to MEPs Re: @ccess Skype meeting friday 23 nov 1030am BST+1

koltzenburg at w4w.net koltzenburg at w4w.net
Fri Nov 23 11:32:50 UTC 2012

Dear all,
during our session we made up this draft, feel free to spread it in the networks that you think are useful

in case you do not wish to write your own version, you might wish to use this one (or translate it into a more
suitable language, of course)

actually, this is a novel kind citizen science grassroots democracy that is much needed in today's EU, I guess
cheers, Claudia

Subject: 28 Nov ITRE: Only real open access saves real lives

"Dear ...

in your ITRE committee's session on 28 November on Horizon 2020 you will vote on the implementation of
open access to all scientific articles and data. I would recommend you vote in favour of this document not in
the least because open access will boost Europe's innovation potential (Neelie Kroes).

For me as a European citizen it is very important to have open access because I need access to information
especially to medical information. Indeed, everyone should be concerned because local doctors trusted by
your friends and family need fast and free access to the newest research to know which cure is best. Real
open access saves real lives.

The Impact of Open Access upon Public Health
http://www.plosmedicine.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pmed.0030252

best regards"

On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 12:49:05 +0100, Tom Olijhoek wrote
> Dear All.
>
> The last @ccess meeting was already a month ago!. I have had chats with
> several people, but feel the need to have a plenary meeting again.
> I hope you will find the time to have a short update and discussion on how
> things concerning OA  are going.
> As Peter Murray-Rust is in Australia I already announced last time that I
> would have the time of the meeting adjusted for him to be able to
> participate.
>
> Please Join Us  on Friday  Nov 23  2012  at 10.30 am BST+1
>
> meeting pad is at
>
> http://open-access.okfnpad.org/34
>
> cheers
>
> TOM