[Open-access] results meeting oct 5 2012 @ccess initiative

Tom Olijhoek tom.olijhoek at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 17:04:51 UTC 2012

Dear All,

We had a lively discussion today on Skype with many participants.
I am writing this message hoping to reach more people who are willing to
help in developing a new strategy towards open science.

In the meeting we came to the conclusion that it would be very worthwhile
to contact other existing open access groups on the points of what they
think is needed to make an open science society become a reality.As it is
the open access movement is fragmented and different people / groups have
very different ideas on what open access is and how we could get change in
the direction of open science.

 Our ideas as a group are clear (see the website) and one way forward would
be to combine forces with these other groups.
As a first step we can find out what other groups there are out there , who
are , or could be supportive of the @ccess group's ideas on open access and
open science.We could then set up a collaboration with these groups , and a
good start for this would be organising a meeting .
Such a meeting would cost money but there are several funding possibilities
that we can explore.

The proposal is that @ccess takes the lead in this, and that we start by
searching for potential partner groups.
All suggestions, comments etc regarding this idea and names of existing
communities / groups to contact are very welcome

Tom Olijhoek
coordinator @ccess at OKFN