[Open-access] FOSsil Bank Update (22 October 2012)

Chris Sakkas sanglorian at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 04:14:31 UTC 2012

Hi folks,

Please enjoy another FOSsil Bank update. This one is a bit unusual because
I've dug up a lot of #FundFreeCulture stuff and relatively few new wiki
entries.
Helping out the Bank

If you wanted to help out the FOSsil Bank, you could add the remaining
books from Open Book Publishers <http://www.openbookpublishers.com/> to the
FOSsil Bank. I’ve only done the libre books (*Is Behavioral Economics Dead?*,
*Frontier Encounters*, *Oral Literature in Africa* and *The Digital Public
Domain*) but it would be useful to have the others as well.

If you’d like to help out with that, there’s a
tutorial<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/tutorial>and you can see the
current list of Open
Book Publishers
<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/source:open-book-publishers>entries on
the wiki.
#FundFreeCulture: New and Ongoing

   - Take On Magic
Items<http://www.bradsucks.net/albums/guess-whos-a-mess/>($2.50; CC
BY)
   - Brad Sucks, ‘Guess Who’s a
Mess’<http://www.bradsucks.net/albums/guess-whos-a-mess/>(name your
price; CC BY-SA)
   - Japanese RPG Monster RPG
2<http://www.indiegogo.com/monster-rpg-2-open-jrpg-game-engine>is
being ransomed on IndieGoGo, although as far as I can tell only the
   engine will be libre licensed and not the assets ($705/$1,500; 16 days
   left; Give It Your Own License, License)
   - Bejewelled-style TumbleGonk <http://www.indiegogo.com/tumblegonk> is
   being ransomed on IndieGoGo, and the assets will also be licensed.
   ($20/$850; 8 days left; CC BY, GNU GPL)
   - The colour and black-and-white art of the African-themed Spears of the
   Dawn RPG<http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1637945166/spears-of-the-dawn-rpg>will
be released into the public domain for others to use. ($6,687/$3,000;
   17 days left; public domain)
   - MediaGoblin <http://mediagoblin.org/pages/campaign.html> is a media
   publishing system for video, images and audio. ($18,382/$60,000; 19 days
   left; GNU AGPL)
   - One Shot<http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sandandsteam/one-shot-a-roleplaying-game-of-murder-and-vengeanc>is
a new tabletop RPG on Kickstarter from open gaming stalwart Tracy
   Barnett. ($1,378/$3,000; 14 days left; CC BY-SA)

#FundFreeCulture: Update

   - Knocking Duh Conch Style II
<http://www.indiegogo.com/kdcsfilming>received the $50 that it was
funded.
   - Terms of Service – Didn’t
Read<http://www.indiegogo.com/terms-of-service-didnt-read>received the
€20,736
   it was funded, double its threshold.

Fund Proprietary Shareable Works

There are two days left for the Humble eBook
Bundle<https://www.humblebundle.com/>,
and though there are sadly no libre works on offer there is xkcd: volume 0
(CC BY-NC), Pirate Cinema (CC BY-NC-ND), Magic for Beginners (CC BY-NC-SA),
Stranger Things Happen (CC BY-NC-SA), Save Yourself, Mammal! (CC BY-NC) and
The Most Dangerous Game (CC BY-NC). You can adjust where your contribution
goes, so I sent mine only to authors of CC works.
Libre Works

   - Open Book Publishers has a collection of books under shareable works
   licences. I’ve only added the libre ones to the wiki so far (they also
   publish Oral Literature in Africa and The Digital Public Domain, which were
   already on the wiki):
      - Is Behavioral Economics
Dead?<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/work:is-behavioral-economics-dead>,
      about different notions of humans in the economy. By David Levine, a
      contributor to the blog Against Monopoly. (CC BY-SA)
      - Frontier
Encounters<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/work:frontier-encounters>,
      about the borders between Mongolia, China and Russia. (CC BY)

   - featurin.gs <http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/source:featurin-gs> is a
   site for creating remixes and mashups. (CC BY or CC BY-NC)
   - Jack Logan’s
Gallery<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/source:jack-logan-s-gallery>is a
collection of fantasy-themed public domain art.
   - Take On Magic
Items<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/work:open-minded-ceos>is a book of
Dungeon World magic items. (CC BY-SA)
   - Hampshire College has compiled a list of freesoftware
recommendations<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/source:hampshire-college-free-software-recommendations>for
tertiary students.
   - OpenSource.com has two new CC BY-SA ebooks:
      - An Open World <http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/work:an-open-world>,
      with stories from the open source community.
      - Open Minded CEOs<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/work:open-minded-ceos>,
      stories about CEOs who work with open source.

Proprietary Shareable Works

   - Decktet <http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/work:decktet>is an alternative
   deck of cards with some interesting features. (CC BY-NC-SA)

Thanks for reading,

*Chris Sakkas
**Admin of the FOSsil Bank wiki <http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/> and the Living
Libre blog <http://www.livinglibre.com> and Twitter