[Open-access] more open access particle physics

Ross Mounce ross.mounce at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 12:06:51 UTC 2012

If they are publishing the same product (copyedited, peer-review
arrangement, PDF , HTML and dead-tree versions) why have they negotiated
different prices with different publishers?

Why does Jagiellonian University only charge $650 for Acta Physica Polonica
whilst Elsevier's Nuclear Physics B gets to charge $2000

Does Nuclear Physics B really provide >3 times more added value than a
publication in Acta Physica Polonica B?

N.B. Don't even think about referring to journal impact factors if you want
to answer that question!

If the SCOAP3 community is so well organised and publishes in so few
journals, why does it need more expensive journals? Why can't they just
expand the editorial board and publish everything in Acta Physica Polonica
B and spend the leftover money on something better than giving more profit
to commercial publishers like Elsevier and Springer?

Journals are just vessels for containing research. It doesn't matter if
research is published across 1000 or just 2 or 3 'journals'. As long as we
have appropriate filtering tools (which I think we do have), then we should
be able to find the research we need.

I'm sure this SCOAP3 initiative is a good move for Open Access... but I
can't help thinking it could have been better especially in terms of
spending efficiency.

Ross

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 12:34 PM, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 12:15 PM, Mark MacGillivray <mark at cottagelabs.com>wrote:
>
>> http://www.nature.com/news/open-access-deal-for-particle-physics-1.11468
>>

> Great - thanks Mark.
>
> SCOAP3 is CC-BY so maybe that gives us some fresh points on the Mounce
> plot. (BTW I showed the plot at UK/EuPMC yesterday.
>
> P.

> Peter Murray-Rust
> Reader in Molecular Informatics
> Unilever Centre, Dep. Of Chemistry
> University of Cambridge
> CB2 1EW, UK
> +44-1223-763069

Ross Mounce
PhD Student & Panton Fellow
Fossils, Phylogeny and Macroevolution Research Group
University of Bath, 4 South Building, Lab 1.07
http://about.me/rossmounce