[Open-access] more open access particle physics

David du Plessis daveduplessis at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 15:22:16 UTC 2012

I agree with everything you said there, Peter, especially that change has
to come from the top (hopefully informed by pressure from academics and
OKFN). I don't think the destruction of the journal system is too much/ a
bridge too far though, Ross. It's probably the best way to break the
"quality" stranglehold that top-flight journals have.

I'm about to get evangelical, so please excuse me, but it wouldn't be that
hard for a publicly-funded organisation to replace the journal publishing
system with a better and much cheaper alternative/ alternatives that could
deal with the "impact factor determining article worth" problem.

Once the open access mandate comes in, independent online databases will be
able to copy and host a larger proportion of articles published. Hopefully
a database will arise (or Pubmed and its ilk will develop) to do so in a
new universal, better presented, format which includes a discussion system.
This would have an in-built advantage versus the current publishing model
in that it could bring single experiments from different publications that
address the same scientific question together so that they can easily be
compared and discussed online. It would need a good forum system with peer
moderation that positively selects the most interesting comments and
rewards people for making them (like the slashdot.org moderation system).
This would get people engaged in (/addicted to) the "game" of
participation, and hopefully keep them coming back to participate, and
would allow a large amount of editorial responsibility to be taken on by
the community, thus saving money. The databases would need a large
editorial staff, but there's no reason these could not be public employees
(of EMBL/EBI and NCBI in my field, for e.g.) and you'd still need a lot
fewer of them than the traditional system.

If such a system took off, glory could still come from citations, but the
journal in which articles were published would matter less as people would
start to use the universal database to access articles, just for the
discussion system. Hopefully "buzz" about articles would start to be
generated by the discussion rather than the journal's reputation, so that
eventually journals would be irrelevant and publication could be done
direct through the database.

I'm hoping it's just a matter of time, and I have a(nother) fantasy that it
could change the way science is done so that people will publish the
results of single experiments instead of waiting for a "narrative" to
develop, which would be left for reviews, but that's a whole other rant!

David