[Open-access] [open-science] Nature Scientific Data platform and doing science with open data

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Apr 5 22:08:19 UTC 2013

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 4:36 PM, Susanna-Assunta Sansone <
sa.sansone at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi Ross and Puneet,
>
> good to see discussion; I am happy also to collect feedback, given that my
> role is also to provide an outward facing side to accelerate the
> communication.
>
>   Wearing my *Un of Oxford's hat*, it is my opinion that the structured/searchable
> information is CC0 and for the more traditional narrative content the
> author is given the choice (but note that the ND option is *not* among
> these). Scientific Data will work only with open community databases; so
> far Data Dryad and FigShare are indeed open.
>
> The author is given strong financial incentive to choose the NC option. as
the -BY option is more expensive There seems to be no justification for
this other than commercial interests of Nature. If tthe scientific
community (Wellcome, NIH, NSF, RCUK, etc.) is arguing for CC-BY then it's
irresponsible (at best) for NPG to do otherwise.