[Open-access] [open-science] Introduction

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Apr 26 07:58:50 UTC 2013

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 5:32 AM, Martyn Rittman <martynrittman at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,

Greetings and welcome

> I've been following the list for a few weeks now, but only just got around
> to introducing myself. Having been a postdoc for a few years in the UK and
> Germany (working on various kinds of biophysical instrumentation), I've
> recently joined MDPI, an open access publisher in Basel, as an editor.
>
> [Copying open-access list]

MDPI is a BOAI-compliant publishers and one of the relatively few such
which publish chemistry. As a result I am using their content for
content-mining (#ami2).

 Up until 2008 they used the CC-NC licence. I wrote to them (and some other
publishers) pointing out the downside of CC-NC.

*Up to 2008 most articles published by MDPI contained the note "© year by
MDPI (http://www.mdpi.org). Reproduction is permitted for noncommercial
purposes". During 2008 MDPI journals started to publish articles under
the Creative
Commons Attribution License
<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/>[image:
external link]. However, all articles published by MDPI before and during
2008 should be considered as released under the same Creative Commons
Attribution License since 2008.*

So it's worth writing to CC-NC publishers - many of whom are not aware of
the downsides. Of course some of the others use CC-NC as a way of
restricting redistribution to try to protect their markets. But we should
still write.