[Open-access] Discussion on Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes required by Librarians for Open Access

Sridhar Gutam gutam2000 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 05:22:59 UTC 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Barnali Chakrabarti <barna.chakrabarti at gmail.com>
Date: 29 July 2013 18:59
Subject: [GOAL] Discussion on Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes required by
Librarians for Open Access

{Apologies for Cross Posting}

I am currently assisting the Commonwealth Educational Media Centre for Asia
(CEMCA) in developing Curriculum and Self-Directed Learning (SDL) Tool for
Open Access for researchers and library and information professionals as a
project of UNESCO. The UNESCO adopted Open Access strategy in 2011, and
with effect from 1 July 2013 it has become fully Open Access. Capacity
building to promote Open Access is one of the important strands of the
UNESCO strategy.  The UNESCO Open Access Forum 2011 also recommended
training of young researchers and library professionals on Open Access.

As a first step, we would like to seek help of experts though a discussion
on this platform to identify Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes needed for
Open Access by Library and Information Professionals and Researchers. So,
we will have two strands of discussion: One for Librarians and the other
for Researchers. This week we start with training needs for Librarians…

Librarians play a significant role in providing access to peer reviewed
information published in journals and help manage local repositories.
Sometime back we did a Delphi study with select experts, which revealed the
following as key areas for the librarians to study:

* *
*Module 1: Foundations*

1. Introduction to Open Access: Definition, types (green, gold, delayed),
OA journals (gold and hybrid), OA books, OA repositories, benefits,
barriers (publisher resistance), philosophy of access to knowledge,
disciplinary trends; Open Access Policy development, including funder
policies

2. Copyrights and licensing mechanisms for Open Access, such as the
creative commons licenses, copyleft and publishers’ embargo in
self-archiving

* *

*Module 2: Practical Options and Systems*

3. Repositories and issues involved in creating and maintaining
repositories, author self-archiving

4. Open Access Journal publishing systems and processes

* *

*Module 3: Initiatives, Implications and Issues*

5. Searching of Open Access information (Vehicles for Open Access: OAIster
and other Open Access Search Engines, PubMed), Metadata related issues,
SHERPA RoMEO, DOAJ, DOAB, GOAP, OA Map, etc.

6. Impact of Open Access on dissemination of knowledge, citation
advantages, estimating impact; Changing practices in scholarly
communication, including open peer review, emerging approaches to
recognition of scholarly works

7. Implications of online-only format for long-term preservation of OA
content (Google Books, Internet Archive, Hathi Trust, other non-U.S. large
initiatives)

While this is useful, we need to identify the Knowledge, Skills and
Attitudes to develop the curriculum and content learning materials. You may
also like to comment on the suitability of the above topics. If you want to
share more on the topic privately, kindly do so in the emails:
smishra.col at gmail.com and barna.chakrabarti at gmail.com

--

With Regards,
Barnali Roy Choudhury