[Open-access] The Empire Strikes Back

Eric F. Van de Velde eric.f.vandevelde at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 16:50:37 UTC 2013

With apologies for cross posting.
I just realized I did not notify the open-access listservs of my latest
blog post. I only posted it on my twitter feed.

Here it is:

The Empire Strikes
Back<http://scitechsociety.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-empire-strikes-back.html>
 <http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=4430152077491545869&postID=4774253132065441492&from=pencil>
Publishers may soon compete with libraries. The business case for enticing
users away from library-managed portals is simple, compelling, and growing.
As funding agencies and universities enact Open Access (OA) mandates and
publishers transition their journals from the site-license model to the
Gold OA model, libraries will cease to be the spigots through which money
streams from universities to publishers. In the Gold-OA world, the
publishers' core business is developing relationships with scholars, not
librarians. For publishers, it makes perfect sense to cater to scholars
both as authors and readers.

Continue at:
http://scitechsociety.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-empire-strikes-back.html

--Eric.