[Open-access] [open-science] OKF at Open Repositories 2014

Emanuil Tolev emanuil at cottagelabs.com
Thu Dec 5 16:25:46 UTC 2013

On 5 December 2013 16:03, Mark MacGillivray <mark at cottagelabs.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 2:50 PM, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> <snip>

> How do we overcome that localised impetus to "do it some other way"?

So how did arxiv do it? Can they take on more or can we replicate it
(without duplicating their efforts obviously). Note they're still hosted by
a single institution, yet archive the content of whole disciplines (or
close to it). So even the potential politics that you'd think would break
such a project obviously didn't.

> If enough people believe we can overcome this and are willing to be
> involved in doing so, then I am willing to build and maintain the thing
> (and others, of course, would help me).
>
> This would be something to discuss at OR14 - a new global archive of all
> available scholarly content (pre-populated with everything we can find and
> regularly crawl for in all other archives), and an initiative to get people
> to start using it across the world.

Right, well http://cottagelabs.com/news/an-academic-catalogue . But as in
summer 2012, the issue is time, who has the availability to commit properly
to this kind of project / this project, bring it to MVP, get some users (so
you can't give up) and keep at it?
It's not even like we tried that hard to get help with it (money and
people), just because we had to build other things. And obviously we're
still working on it, but it feels like the kind of thing that should have
been available years ago. I want to be using it! (I don't mind building it,
but not having it is frustrating.)

Every. single. discussion. that a research-related project like OAButton
and OAG has ends up in "we want a queryable index of all the research with
licensing info and an API and a data dump, so not Google Scholar .. uh ok
let's use CORE but we want a better one".

Emanuil