[Open-access] [GOAL] Re: Re: Fight Publishing Lobby's Latest "FIRST" Act to Delay OA - Nth Successor to PRISM, RWA etc.

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Dec 1 18:38:24 UTC 2013

I agree with what Bjoern and Mark have said. We have the imperative to
develop a new set of tools and most is in place.

For my part I am launching "the Content Mine" over these current days. The
goal is simple - to extract 100,000,000 million facts from the scholarly
scientific literature. See

https://vimeo.com/78353557 (5 minutes video).
http://www.slideshare.net/petermurrayrust/the-content-mine-presented-at-uksg

and innumerable current blogs on
http://blogs.ch.cam.ac.uk/pmr/

I would very much welcome help. I have been offered some from outside
academia - it would be nice to have some academics who also believed in
liberation.

This is not vapourware. I demo'ed this at OKFN/Open Science in Oxford last
Wednesday. I am starting with "Open Access" papers, such as PLoSONE and
when tested there will move to other outlets. These papers can be queried
for a wide range of scientific facts such as species (where we start),
chemicals, sequences, geolocations, identifiers, phylogenetic trees, etc.
We have means of publishing this and means of capturing it. Everything -
code, protocols, extractions, stores, etc. are fully Open (OKD compliant).

This has the potential to act as a semantic current-awareness system and
also as a scientific search engine. At present there is no Open search
engine for science, except Wikipedia. As Bjoern and Mark have made clear we
must create one - and rapidly. Else we shall remain completely reliant on
the charity of mega-corporations - do we trust them?

I have applied for a personal grant to work on this. I will be delighted to
work with any others outside or inside academia - all my software is Open
for anyone to re-use without my permission. Only by making science
immediately Open (OKD-compliant) at the time it is published do we have
Open Access in the true (BOAI) sense of the word.