[Open-access] [open-science] OKF at Open Repositories 2014

Joseph Mcarthur joseph.mcarthur.10 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 09:01:47 UTC 2013

Potentially the Open Access Button team might be interested in this.

We'd like to make repositories a big part of the tool. We're currently
tossing around ideas (some concrete some not) around leveraging databases
like openDOAR (and the repositories indexed there) as a way to give our
users access to papers, and building in ways to promote researchers
depositing papers. One of our dev team is also wanting to create a way for
authors to submit open access versions of papers directly to us - which, if
it worked would almost create a repository-type system.

Thanks,

Joe

On 5 December 2013 08:18, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 12:17 AM, Jenny Molloy <jenny.molloy at okfn.org>wrote:
>
>> Dear All
>>
>> OKF have been invited to participate in Open Repositories 2014 in
>> Helsinki, Finland, 9-13 June 2014.
>>
>> Are any of you already planning to attend and/or might be interested in
>> running a workshop?
>>
>> The initial idea is a workshop looking at CKAN as a research data
>> repository
>>

> I have just started using CKAN in this way and think it has potential. See
> http://datahub.io/dataset/species-in-articles-from-biomedcentral/resource/ca3cfd1c-1239-49f0-8eeb-68d96d739d3a
>
> I know some of the Open Repositories community - I think that we might get
> a reasonable turn-out. We would not deliberately limit it to science but I
> think science is easier to start off with. My personal interests would
> include:
>
> * problems of legacy data formats
> * adding structure to semi-structured data
> * indexing,particularly domain-specific information
>
> I am interested and happy to work with others who want to present something
>

> --
> Peter Murray-Rust
> Reader in Molecular Informatics
> Unilever Centre, Dep. Of Chemistry
> University of Cambridge
> CB2 1EW, UK
> +44-1223-763069

Joseph McArthur <http://bit.ly/1apTC7b> ¦ Open Access
Button<http://bit.ly/198fA0R>Project Lead ¦ Paywalls
limit knowledge and stifle innovation, help map their impact and get the
research you need at openaccessbutton.org. ¦ Twitter:
@Mcarthur_Joe ¦ skype: joseph_mcarthur ¦ 07732634892 ¦ The Open Access
Button is a Medsin-UK <http://www.medsin.org/> programme.

The glamorous life of a final year student means I try to only answer
emails at 7am. Please keep this in mind when contacting me. If urgent
please don't hesitate to ring me.