[Open-access] [open-science] OKF at Open Repositories 2014

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Dec 5 10:23:26 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 10:08 AM, Mark MacGillivray <mark at cottagelabs.com>wrote:

> There have already been efforts to use CKAN in this way, which should be
> referred to:
>

> http://orbital.blogs.lincoln.ac.uk/2012/09/06/choosing-ckan-for-research-data-management/
>
> Known issues include the metadata quality capability.
>
> Thanks Mark,

Can you elucidate please? I have had my own issues but I hope they are part
of the learning curve.

> Regarding the issue of deposit into a repository, it is possible with
> SWORD 2.0 to build such deposit functionality, and I demonstrated such a
> "deposit" button at least two years ago at a previous OR conference.
> However, it has never been implemented on a live repository.
>
> Does this mean that CKAN groks SWORD? If so this is good news.

> Of particular interest in this regard, during recent work on my phd I have
> found that one of the reasons this functionality has never been implemented
> at my university at least is because I am the first Edinburgh academic ever
> to have requested such capability.

There is effectively no user-base for current repositories so there is no
pressure on developers to provide them. It's a cyclic argument.
Universities rely on G**gle (who are now teamed up with Th*ms*n - R**t*rs)
- do you trust this combination to provide what we really want?

It's shameful IMO that universities have spent (my estimate) 500 Million
USD on repositories [*] and they are basically unsearchable without G**gle.

> Of course this comes down to an issue of knowing what can be done, knowing
> how to do it, and the complex of responsibilities involved across
> communities, and having people come to a consensus on the key requirements.
> This is all of relevance to my phd study, and so I would ask again that if
> any of you wish to clarify what these requirements are, that you complete
> my scholarship survey and share it widely and encourage further feedback:
>
> http://ifthisistheanswer.com/survey

I have  answered this - please help Mark get his degree!

> Next year I (with Cottage Labs) intend to use my work as a basis for
> developing and running a service to help solve this problem. Any of you
> wishing to contribute will of course be welcome - and note that as I have
> said before it is not actually technical capability that is the key
> (although it is of course important), but community development, support,
> leadership, advocacy, politics.
>
> Completely agreed.

P.

[*] 1500 research active universities (guess) * 2 FTEs (Peter Suber
estimated 1.5-5 FTEs) * 10 years =30,000 FTEs

I guess my estimate is low...