[Open-access] [open-science] OKF at Open Repositories 2014

Bjoern Brembs b.brembs at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 23:49:51 UTC 2013

On Thursday, December 5, 2013, 5:58:02 PM, you wrote:

> I think it must come down to - as all
> successful services do - convenience. Make it so
> easy and so much better than any alternative
> that people every where want to use it, then
> they will change their communities to suit.

Precisely! This is THE ONE key point!
And the functionality of what we have is so
abysmal, that it doesn't take a whole lot to be the
best in the world.

> But again, the hard part in addition to making
> the thing easy is in letting everybody know at
> least that it exists, so that they can try it
> and realise it is better.

It may not be easy, but never has it been easier
to "spread the word" than in times of social media.
:-)

> There are plenty of good people in libraries
> and other places that would recommend such a
> great service over the "usual ways to do it",
> but there must be some sort of comms-y /
> marketing / advertising-y stuff we do not know
> about but probably must engage in.

People are so, so fed up with the way our
infrastructure works - anything that makes them
spend less time wrestling with it and more time
with its content will spread like wildfire - no PR
required at all. I promise.

Bjoern

--
Björn Brembs