[Open-access] SPARC Europe has classified the UK's open access policy in a category of it's own

Velichka Dimitrova velichka.dimitrova at okfn.org
Wed Feb 13 23:02:05 UTC 2013

Hi,

I heard Alma Swan present this analysis of funder open access policies.
You can hear her speak exactly about that when scrolling to minute 42 here:
http://new.livestream.com/pedroprincipe/UMinhOA/videos/11047384

She cited the policy as one that "requires" Gold OA where available.

Reading 4. "Compliance of Journals"
http://www.rcuk.ac.uk/documents/documents/RCUK%20_Policy_on_Access_to_Research_Outputs.pdf
I also see that the two options are made possible and the second one is *"Where
a publisher does not offer option 1 above". *
*
*
Do they interpret that option number 1 is the required one and option 2
should be taken only when option 1 doesn't exist? This is certainly what
Alma meant.

I think to single out the RCUK in this way is not justifiable, Alma was
quite critical on them, too.

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 4:08 PM, Mike Taylor <mike at indexdata.com> wrote:

> Surely it's a simple mistake. Just drop them a line explaining, with
> references.
>
> -- Mike.
>

> On 13 February 2013 15:35, Ross Mounce <ross.mounce at gmail.com> wrote:
> > In what I infer to be a rather political move, SPARC Europe has just
> > published a classification of open access funder mandates:
> >
> http://sparceurope.org/analysis-of-funder-open-access-policies-around-the-world/
> >
> > RCUK is listed alone under the classification title: "Gold
> (journal-based)
> > Open Access required:"
> > Whilst there are 14 funders listed under: "Either Green or Gold routes
> > satisfy policy requirements"
> > My understanding of the UK policy was that it allowed either gold or
> green
> > OA, with at most gold preferred.
> >
> > Why then is SPARC Europe making such a point of classifying RCUK as
> "Gold OA
> > required" ? This is flat out wrong IMO. Preferred does not equal
> required!
> > In no way is gold absolutely required by the new RCUK policy. This is
> clear
> > misrepresentation.
> >
> > Why did they do this? Are SPARC Europe trying to help or hinder the Open
> > Access movement?
> >

> > Ross
> >

> > --
> > -/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-
> > Ross Mounce
> > PhD Student & Open Knowledge Foundation Panton Fellow
> > Fossils, Phylogeny and Macroevolution Research Group
> > University of Bath, 4 South Building, Lab 1.07
> > http://about.me/rossmounce

Velichka Dimitrova
Open Economics Project Coordinator
Open Knowledge Foundation