[Open-access] HEFCE (UK) seeking advice on open access & open data research evaluation

Cameron Neylon cn at cameronneylon.net
Wed Feb 27 09:14:13 UTC 2013

I'd take a somewhat different approach to worrying about whether data sharing should be enforced by HEFCE. HEFCE by its nature has to be a very conservative organisation as it has to give guidance up to five years ahead across the whole community of what assessment mechanisms need to be in place and how things will be judged. That data even gets a mention is therefore a real step.

The big opportunity here is to focus on the actual assessment mechanisms. How can we configure the development of the actual assessment mechanisms so that they reward efforts to enable re-use (including provision of data, software, etc). if we get that right then we create a tension that guides people towards data sharing because it aligns with their interests rather than creating a requirement, which will just mean people do the minimum required. My sense is that there is a real opportunity to configure REF2020 along the lines that will develop and reward best practice as it changes over the next seven years.

Cheers

Cameron