[Open-access] Cost-effectiveness of open access publications

Ross Mounce ross.mounce at okfn.org
Fri Jan 11 03:07:30 UTC 2013

Dear Jevin (I have cc'd the OA list to help spread the word),

I've just seen your paper *Cost-effectiveness of open access
publications<http://www.eigenfactor.org/openaccess/CostEffectiveness.pdf>
*& the associated dynamic plot <http://www.eigenfactor.org/openaccess/>.

"*We believe that it would be wiser for funders to support open access in
ways that encourage price competition among*
*open access publishers.*"  - I heartily agree with your coda.

This is brilliant, much-needed, timely work. Congratulations.
I've seen it said countless times in 2012 that 'Gold OA' journals
*require *APCs.
This plot & data will *convincingly* help dispel that myth and many more in
the wider community.

I was wondering if you had considered adding extra or alternative
dimensions to the plot such as 'Openness of licence'

I have done such a plot
here<http://rossmounce.co.uk/2012/08/30/a-visualization-of-gold-open-access-options/>which
garnered a fair bit of attention from the library, publishing, and OA
communities back in August 2012.
I intended to make a dynamic/interactive version but didn't have the skills
or time available. Have also been promoting the idea of 'cost-savvy
OA'<http://prezi.com/sxzg6om0ipgp/open-access/>

Is it possible to download the underlying data from the plot somewhere? I'd
be interested in building upon / exploring this excellent dataset.

Kind regards,

Ross

--
Ross Mounce