[Open-access] [open-science] House of Lords (UK) Open Access - submissions invited

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Jan 12 11:56:58 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 11:35 AM, Mike Taylor <mike at indexdata.com> wrote:

> I have sent my own response, and posted it here for anyone who's
> interested:
>
> http://svpow.com/2013/01/12/my-submission-to-the-house-of-lords-science-and-technology-committee/

This is an outstanding document and says 80% of what I would have said.

Rather than repeat it I suggest we create a response from the
researchers/readers point of view stressing those not employed in UK
universities (i.e. mainly the scholarly poor). I think we can reasonably
argue that Open public scientific research is a massive public good and
that by opening our research we are contributing to the welfare and
prosperity of those outside Britain as well as in it. I suspect that this
will have particular appeal to the Lords. To that extent I think we could
reasonably  take the approach:
* OKF is a global movement (with UK origins)
* we have collected significant experience and anecdotal evidence through
our activities
* this is almost certainly a very small proportion of the actual desire for
scholarly information
* in this area Britain's actions are a major beacon for the rest of the
world.

P.

If anything I said in there is at all useful towards a group response,