[Open-access] [open-science] [UK legislation] Draft regulations allowing non-commercial 'data analysis' published for comment

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Jun 24 17:07:29 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 3:36 PM, Tom Morris <tfmorris at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 12:18 PM, Ross Mounce <ross.mounce at okfn.org>wrote:
>
>> The UK Intellectual Propert Office (IPO) has released some draft
>> legislation for technical review that may be of interest. It concerns new
>> allowances for:
>>
>> 1.) 'non-commercial data analysis' (which I would assume to specifically
>> include text mining and content mining).
>> http://www.ipo.gov.uk/techreview-data-analysis.pdf
>>

> So it sounds like they think counting words should be legislated
> differently from plain old reading.
>
> If they are scrupulous about enforcing the non-commercial aspect of this,

THEY have to do this as NC because they can do this without a new act - NC
would require parliament. So  it's valuable.

I don't see how it's really going to grant much, if any, new usage rights.
>  Pretty much all research gets commercialized at some point -- well, unless
> it's about Shakespeare or something.

I think we can extract data and pulbish it with a CC0 licence and a
statement that an "The IPO adds an NC restriction". If IPO objects they can
tell us to stop. If the original licence holder wants to challenge this
then that's their problem...  Yes, messy, but a big start.

Tom